Friday, March 26, 2010

Some are just more equal than others …

I have to admit, the whole healthcare debate has kind of gotten me down, especially now that Facebook offers an outlet for every half-literate asshole to spread lies and hate. While I am able to respect the fact that not everyone thinks the way I do, I guess what really bothers me is that while a lot of conservatives consider themselves Christians, many are apparently only ready to love their neighbors as long as it doesn’t cost them anything. But hey, let’s be against gay marriage because the Bible tells us so!

Something else that has become apparent to me over the course of these weird (and sometimes way too below-the-belt) exchanges on Facebook is that a lot of the people I know who are fierce conservatives are not exactly the folks who benefit from Republican politics. In fact, they are more likely to benefit from much of what the Obama administration is working on.

And I can’t help but wonder why so many of these people haven’t seen the need to get worked up about two wars that cost billions and billions; about Guantanamo Bay (which is about as un-American as it gets); about the Patriot Act (talk about the government moving in on your personal rights); about the eight years of GWB that set the United States back decades in terms of economy, in terms of international standing… I could go on and on. Why was all of that no big deal, but healthcare for everyone is? What the fuck?

Seriously. What the fuck.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Nice. Well written, well reasoned, well done.

It's all gotten to be too much for me. I have to tune it out and just wait for the next civil war to officially start.

In the meantime, thank god for that 'hide' feature on FB, eh?

~m said...

a--MEN, sista.

Momma T said...

SO right there with ya! :)