We went to the swimming pool yesterday, like half of Frankfurt, and ended up sitting next to a half-naked couple (granted, most people are half naked at a public pool, but the heavy-chested woman was naked from thar on up), who were on top of each other. Doing whatever it is people do in that position on a Sunday in a public place.
But on to the real part of the story. Also sitting near us was a group of four teenagers, three German, one obviously American with no German skills. The girl who was apparently her host sister had slightly buck teeth and a bitchy way of commanding everyone around. Sometimes she spoke in English to her homely guest, but mostly the three Germans chattered away in their own language. And that's when I had my flashback:
I was that American kid 10 years ago this year. I had also been dragged along to the swimming pool by my bossy host sister, who had some bad-ass buck teeth and even worse English skills. We were there with all sorts of friends of hers, who occasionally threw me a sentence or two in English, but for the most part, I was ignored. I remember being astounded by all the naked people (shocking for a 17-year-old American). I tried to make the best of my two years of high-school German, but I'm pretty sure I didn't understand anything. So yesterday, I was feeling sorry for the homely American kid, who obviously wasn't fitting in with the prissy Germans. Björn suggested I go over and talk to her.
But no. I survived my first three weeks in Germans amongst German teens back in June 1996, and I'm sure that girl will, too. What can be learned from all of this: We can all be grateful not to be a teenager anymore.
1 comment:
God, you're such a rude European jerk. I'm so proud! And I love the site -- you've topped yourself again, Brandi Hertig, and I'm mad because I wanted to top you! No more topping! Do you hear me? Topping is my bag! Mine! And please don't read any sexual meaning into these statements. BFF, R
Post a Comment