Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I Heart Berlin



I was in the windy apple last week for a course on interviewing, which I realized (much to my chagrin) was sorely needed. I won't mention here that I have forgotten almost everything I ever learned at university. I was only there for two days, but I did get to see some Berlin highlights, including the Christmas Market at the Gendarmarkt. I had to pay a euro to get in, but it was worth it. The mulled wine tasted slightly less bad than at other Christmas Markets (although that sweetly metallic taste is just a part of the German Christmas that you have to learn to live with), and there was a choir singing English-language Christmas songs. I got myself good and drunk, then called my pal Tina in faraway Darmstadt to tell her that I had just seen a guy who looked like Terence Trent D'Arby.

And I fit in so well in Berlin that a woman stopped me on Alexanderplatz and asked me if I was looking for a job. I don't know how that would've played out if I hadn't told her that I'm from Frankfurt.

No comments: