Thursday, September 20, 2007

Zee Highway To Hell


The past few months have in fact involved other activities in my life besides drinking: driving! I have had the pleasure of stepping back in time in order to attend German driving school. The set-up is a little different than I remember it being in Kansas back in 1993, which included the overweight softball coach acting as a teacher and us kids being shown a lot of filmstrips with titles like "Bloody Prom Night."

Here in Germany, everything is very well-organized and you end up learning a lot more about everything than you ever wanted to. A few things I had to learn for the threoretical test:

1. Formula for calculating stopping distance in meters: speed (km/h) / 10 x speed/10

2. Formula for calculating how much time one needs to react: speed (km/h) / 10 x 3

3. Reasons for not running people over: It's frowned upon in modern-day Germany.

Anyway, I spent many Monday and Thursday evenings with other bright-eyed 17 year olds, learning the many, many rules of the cruel streets of Deutschland. I passed the theoretical test and now the only thing standing between me and the open Autobahn is my practical driving test, which I hear makes you sweat real bad. Can't wait.

No comments: