Saturday, November 10, 2007

Ze Huddled Masses ...


I would only be more German now if I bought a pair of Lederhosen and grew a little moustache ....

I finally got my permanent residence permit yesterday. The next time I'll have to visit the dank halls of the ... ahem ... aliens' registration office will be when my passport expires in 2017. I think I've done a pretty good job of integrating myself into the German way of life here since moving here in 2000, but those yearly visits to that office always made me feel like I had just gotten off a boat from the old world. And I had it good, what with my nondescript Caucasian looks and German last name. Those civil servants can be a lot nastier to those who look like real foreigners. So, uh, hooray, right?

Anyway, this is kind of like having the second-to-last piece of triforce, if I may make a "Legend of Zelda" analogy here. To complete the triforce and actually become a German, I would probably have to do a lot more than to just give Gannon a few good whacks. Where the hell am I going with this?

With this permit, I can be like any other German here, but without all the muss and fuss of actually being one. It's kinda like wearing a wig instead of getting the real haircut.

A quality wig, of course.

3 comments:

Russell said...

Brandi--you are either with us or against us. I think you have chosen and that's fine. But if you start throwing stones through glass storefronts, I'm going to have to beat you.

Russell said...

BTW, I'm typing this in Tokyo and all the fonts are in Japanese. How odd. You just assume an American website would look the same abroad. Damn Google--they'll be the death of me.

Can you do any less?

Brandi said...

This is no place for loafers! Do they really sell used schoolgirl panties in vending machines there? And are the watermelons really square?