Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Song sung ... TV

In order to ensure that Harper's childhood includes a rich tapestry of traditional folk music from the U.S., we have the songbook "Rise Up Singing," and Smithsonian Folkways CDs (with music from lovely folks such as Sam Hinton and Elizabeth Mitchell). We have bluegrass en mass and an internet radio, which gives us nearly unlimited access to world music.

So what do I sing to Harper?

The theme song to Mr. Ed.

Awe.some.

2 comments:

~m said...

let's talk abotu elizabeth mitchell and HOW KICKASS SHE IS and how "little liza jane" is possibly my fave somg ever for maire and how she COVERS three little birds (um, HELLO AWESOME) and dear god - the smithsonian music website is HUGE, pls send specific links to good stuff...

and ohmygod i just got WAY too excited about us having parallel parenting lives.....

Brandi said...

I love that song, too. I was just thinking how I would name my next kid that IF I liked the name Liza. Which I don't. We apparently have the same CD. :-) Whenever you guys get a moment to come over to Germany, we can make up additional lyrics.

The other one we have is "Whoever shall have some good peanuts" by Sam Hinton: http://www.folkways.si.edu/albumdetails.aspx?itemid=3131

Those are the only two CDs from the Smithsonian we have now. I know what website I will refer my mother to the next time she asks what Harper wants for her birthday and Christmas.

Another favorite here is Maria Taylor's album "Lady Luck." The song I used for Harper's 8 month slideshow ("Cartoons and Forever Plans") is from her and it calms Harper down about 95% of the time when she's having a wig out. And the song just sums up how I feel about her (the kid, not the singer). :-)