Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgivin': German Style






We decided to have a mini Thanksgiving with our friends Imke and Marco and their new son Linus on Saturday. Although I have lived in Germany for quite a long time and should really know better, I had never given any thought to the fact that maybe turkeys are not as readily available as they are in the States. The same goes for pumpkins. Needless to say, we spent the better part of our Saturday morning looking for a turkey and a pumpkin. We finally found both, and then spent the rest of the day making pumpkin pie and hoping we wouldn't screw up the turkey, which cost us €15.

After consulting several websites for tips, we finally felt ready to put the turkey in the oven. Long story short, the thing turned out great, and Marco assumed that I knew what I was doing,

being an American and all. Being honest, I had to tell him that my mother's Thanksgiving turkey experiences consisted of putting a Butterball in the microwave (this is true) or forgetting to take out the plastic bag of giblets before putting the bird in the oven. So either it was mere luck or fate that our expensive little turkey turned out well. And now we are, like all good American (or American wannabes) should be, full of turkey and wine.

No comments: