
This is the one time where it's 5:30 in the morning and I can't sleep anymore and I thought it would be a good idea to get a headstart on today's work before I drag myself into the office. And? My remote access isn't working. God, what kind of nerd have I become on this Friday morning? The biggest chemical news of the day? Jan Secher will be stepping down as CEO of Clariant. But this is surely of no interest to y'all, right?
The reason for my unsleepiness is twofold: my dog and my back. Lilly likes to sneak into bed after we've already fallen asleep, which is fine and all, because she had a rough childhood. The problem is that when she lays in the middle of the bed, she also ends up laying on like five yards of the blanket, making tossing and/or turning damn near impossible. And tossing and/or turning is getting more and more difficult by the night anyway, what with the two-pound parasite called Baby S. and her mother's jolly, long-ass pillow that she has to keep wedged between her knees while sleeping.
And, oy, my back. After almost everything in day-to-day life as apparently become strenuous for me, sleeping is apparently now also on that list. I woke up in the middle of the night last night with the kind of back ache I haven't had since I made the mistake of exposing my sweaty back to the cold night air after an Ani DiFranco concert in Cologne oh-so-many years ago. It may or may not be related to Baby S. I don't want to hold her accountable for all my discomforts. Yet, anyway. Maybe when she's 16.
Here in good ol' Old Europe, or at least in Germany, pregnant women are entitled to the services of a midwife before, during and after birth. Hospitals are always equiped with them, and I have my gynocologist for the before stuff, so I have really only been in the market for someone for when the baby's here. Little did I know how difficult it would be to find one who has time in December. And apparently you have to hunt down your midwife with a stun gun as soon as the pee dries on the pregnancy test, or at least that's what we were told in the hospital we toured the other day (except for the stun gun part). After calling about 30 different midwives, I finally found one who was willing to take me ... under the condition that she wouldn't have to come over during the Christmas holidays, which would be Dec.24-26. So I just hope that Baby S. decides to make her appearance a little earlier rather than later. Oy veh.
Next time I won't be so bold as to get pregnant in March.
No comments:
Post a Comment