Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Teutonic Tuesday — Olli Schultz

I've been neglecting my German-watching duties as of late, so to get myself back in line, I'd like to introduce you to Teutonic Tuesdays!

This week features Olli Schultz, a German singer whose music I came to enjoy while listing to LastFM. I had never heard of him before that and now, all of a sudden, he's on TV singing a song that is nothing like his other stuff. It's called, "Mach den Bibo," (Do the Bibo) and probably needs some explaining. Bibo is what the Germans call Big Bird from Sesame Street. I can't explain that one.

Anyway, Olli has come up with a new little dance that hardsotten Germans fear will replace "The Chicken Dance" at all formal fuctions. They probably also had this fear back in 1993 when "Macarena" became a hit. And, as a bonus piece of Teutonic trivia, the Chicken Dance is called the Duck Dance in German. It's not like they don't have chickens here, though, so don't be fooled.

In order for the non-German-speaking world to also be able to do the Bibo, here's a translation of the most important part:

Do the Bibo/Do the UFO/Do the Grobi/Go oooh oooh oooh. The song starts at about 2:00, so fast-forward through all the German blah blah.



Grobi is, by the way, what the Germans call Grover from Sesame Street. Now get up and dance the Bibo. Schnell!

To hear what the guy normally sounds like, enjoy this shitty video someone apparently made of their TV, Hong King movie theater style:



(P.S.: Don't forget to participate in the poll! Help us help ourselves, because if you don't, who will?)

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Good lord...

But if you jump to the 2 min mark you miss the ever-so-attractive wife beater tee moment.

And can I just say, you Europeans are just so cra-zay!