Sunday, December 14, 2008

German Eye for the American (non) Guy ...

We have a weird digital cable package here that allows us to watch halfway good things like Turner Classic Movies (in English!) and Timm, a new channel aimed at gay men (and they show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. In English! And, as an aside, I had never seen it until this week, and I've been wondering how the hell I've been living without it for so long. When I told this to my friend Russell, I could hear him rolling his eyes all the way from Australia. He then said I might also be interested in this cool new show called MASH.)

Anyway, the rest is just kind of junk, unless you're into watching news from Kazakhstan, which is sometimes dubbed into English by a guy with a raging southern accent. But there's one magical channel that I hate, yet love ... and we're always magically drawn to it during the commercial breaks on other channels. Its German name is Gute Laune TV, which translates into Good Mood TV. It's non-stop videos of German music, usually of the Schlager genre. And they are so, so bad that you can't help but be in a good mood after watching them.

And there is one special video, my absolute favorite of all time, and I cannot keep it from you any longer. Have a look at the clip below. If you're short on time and patience, then I suggest you start at 1:30; that's where the action really starts. And you don't need to understand German to get the gist of this tragic love story:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha... brilliance. If this video was released in the US there would be the biggest influx of 18-30-year-old male tourists Germany has ever seen... not that the girl was overly attractive, but apparently all you need to do is touch German women's belts and they'll perform sexual acts in bathroom stalls. Of course, so long as you don't mind the old Vegas-wannabe guy standing right outside the door! How was I not informed of this in German class in high school!?!?

Thank you for the share... and yes, I watched it twice. ha.

Brandi said...

It's not so much the belt touching, but also the fact that her date got really drunk on those little glasses of beer. And I can't stop watching this video either. It's so ... sigh. Everything that's right about Germany.

But this is really how it goes down here in D-Land. Just ask me how this baby got in my belly...

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a man in a sparkly coat sing so somberly about boning in a bathroom stall.

Loved it!