Monday, December 01, 2008

Oh crap, it's Dec, 1.


This is the month of months, the month I've been mentally make come faster since April. And it worked, because I blinked and then it was here.

So, I've turned to my favorite book of all time, "The People's Home Library." It's a three-in-one beauty: home medical book, home cook book and home veterinary book. Published in 1915, the chapter for married women contains a list of all the stuff I will be needing for labor:

5 basins
1 two-quart fountain syringe
15 yards unsterilized gauze
6 sanitary bed pads or 2 pounds of cotton batting
1 piece rubber sheeting, size 1x2 yards
1 piece rubber sheeting, size 3/4x1 yard
4 ounces permanganate of potash
8 ounces oxalic acid
4 ounces boric soap
1 tube Vaseline
100 Bernay's bichloride tablets
8 ounces alcohol
2 drams ergotol
1 nail brush
2 pounds absorbent cotton
Squibb's chloroform

One word of caution: In case the attendants discover birthmarks or any deformity of the child, they should use every precaution to prevent the mother's knowing or suspecting them, as it may grieve her to the extent of causing convulsions and consequent injury.

Women really don't convulse enough nowadays.

2 comments:

rubigimlet said...

this might be my favorite post ever.

congratulations ahead of time.
one: for your new bundle of joy.
two: for bringing your own rubber sheeting.

Brandi said...

Thanks...but I'm having a hell of a time finding my Bernay's bichloride tablets ...